Friday, May 9, 2008

weather excitement...

Have you ever notice the excitement a meteorologist gets when reporting on threatening weather? Last night, some distance from our city, yet needing to report bad weather as it is still considered "in your region," preempting prime time television. Yes, the moment they've been waiting for, cursing fair weather, celebrating the storm, on prime time no less! I responded after the first 1/2 hour of minute by minute coverage some 90 miles away, "the weather nerds are still doing play by play...." Realizing this was out loud, I had to promptly correct my remark and apologize "little ears were listening!" Sorry Mr. S. Cloud & Mr. H. Rain for my remarks, I know you've worked hard at your occupation and have the latest technology, "my bad." For one hour of primetime TV, these 2 analyzed the weather passing through our region, with overhead radar, dopler radar, 3-d radar, computer enhanced radar, super 3-d moblie radar, wind gust radar and street level radar! Let's not forget the reporter filming from locations all over the area. The one waiting for the rain on location, the one who gets the rain falling on them, rustling winds in the background as the hood blows off their head and rain gear flapping while they report on storm conditions. Then minutes of gripping phone calls of local people calling in to report on the conditions at their house, "the wind is blowing, we've had some rain...."



As the coverage continued relentlessly with no apparent end, I could only wonder why didn't the warning bars just role across the bottom of the screen? I guess the 30 million dollar radar investments just have to be used allowing the weather team to do what they do. Then I began thinking are these really their names? Does a meteorologist choose their name? Or is it some sort of predestined prophecy, named in youth and what else could they be without teasing from the other kids in their class? If you are not a native american and bare the name Gusty Winds, Storm Cloud, what else would you become?



Spiritual takeaway, I have a choice, I turned to Verse network to watch good hockey! I found peace in the storm, calm waters and clear sky.