Thursday, May 29, 2008

hell's gate

There was a time when I was pursuing a pilot's licence for boating. I grew up on/near water, it seemed an easy fit. A captain's licence was ok, but to succeed with a pilot's licence would mean many additional opportunities. There are a great many areas of study for this level of understanding: navigation by various means, vessel operations, hours at the "wheel", chart reading, tide & tidal study, weather, water safety, first aid, mechanical understanding and many others.... I had the fortune to transport many a vessel from summer ports to winter ports, New England to the South East Coast. Best of all providing hours at the helm, combining knowledge, experience and practical application.
None of this understanding could prepare for navigating a 63' motor yacht with a 24' beam through Hell's Gate in the Bronx. This is a navigation nightmare where the Harlem River, East River, Arthur Kill come together with the Sound. Currents and tides come together tossing the water into vortex of turbulence, as bridges and abutments obstruct & restrict the tributaries even further. The vessel was suddenly thrust into nature's grasp, the captain panicked as the vessel turned 90 degrees to the waters, twisting and turning uncontrollably towards a bridge abutment. I grabbed the controls and powered up to navigate us through this pass, at the throws of waters while keeping us from running aground. A close call, we managed to avoid taking out part of the FDR!
The lesson I learned was to never put myself in the situation of being unprepared, allowing someone else to control unknown waters in my life. "A ship is safe in the harbor, but that is not what it was built for.." This was a serious life lesson as quickly life turned. Am I prepared for these turbulent and unforeseen tidal assaults? Casual approach to serious situations quickly spin out of control, so I must continue my understanding, grow my knowledge and prepare my defense. I must dig into the Word of God, pray and seek Him, understanding He is in control. I must be prepared, life comes at you fast without the "book" knowledge with practical application I will be tossed at the mercy of the seas.