Friday, May 23, 2008

Communication...

I have been hearing an internal dialog since reading something Chunks wrote months ago. He was talking about communication within an organization, really it plays out throughout life. He made the statement " If I have to ask...do I have to explain myself...." Now there may be many reasons I have to explain myself, as sharing vision is difficult with unlike minded people. I know it is possible, it takes vision, articulation, ownership and conviction of purpose.

So my internal discussion takes on many facets, am I sharing what is vision in such a way for others to take ownership? Am I concise in my communications allowing others to be empowered? Am I truly able to relinquish control and allow them the freedoms to express themselves through their work? Now my vision for our business embodies creativity, service, ethics and honor. Some of which are easier to articulate, service and ethics I believe can be taught. Creativity is sketchy as it is interpretive from one mind to another, it is possible however. Honor is an attitude that I believe is ingrained into one's personality. What creates a stumbling block is honor, when giving direction and empowerment, I am typically faced with engagement prior to empowerment.....they've stopped listening and started. This may explain why one hour later they are asking the very same question I addressed in prior communication. Honor is serving in character and commitment, simply, doing what needs to be done rather than leaving for others to do.... Romans 12:10 "Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves."