Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Visionary combat

Visionary combat
A men's group discussion I was involved in last night was alarming to me, one of the topics discussed was, Fantasy, "is fantasy acceptable in one's life?" I can only share to my experience, that is to believe today fantasy has no place in my life. Before I could even filter the words from my mouth, I replied "there are no redeeming qualities in any form of fantasy." I paused after my statement to listen to others in the discussion. I became extremely passionate about my position, I spent much of my life living in fantasy, most developed out of the insulating factors of protecting myself. Not knowing how to expose the fears and insecurities in childhood and life, and process emotion. At any point of discomfort or conflict, I could slip into my fantasy world, it became my ability to escape. My medication from pain, instinctual avoidance. Fantasy is not based in truth, fantasy allows me to live separated from everyone else, a self-centered defense that paralyzed my abilities to move beyond the insecurities I possess. Eventually, fantasy isolates me from the life that is reality. Some may not understand this thought, "I can be in a room filled with people and be completely alone." Having absolutely no connection to others, to myself, to God. It all started as insulation and escalated to isolation.

Fantasy does not require anything from me, it allows me to wallow in circumstances, holding me back, avoiding responsibility, moving beyond, processing emotion and seeking guidance. Summed up, "giving in and giving up." You end up participating in life from the sidelines.

The reprogramming process for me as truth is poured in my life, fantasy is replaced with "vision." Vision requires action, effort and fundamental foundation. I am able to refine my vision, strategically respond, doing something about it. I have found it mobilizes me into reality, enabling me to grow, change, process that which I used to run from, and act upon the calling inside of me. Allowing me to break free from the bondage of paralyzing insecurities (fear), thrusting me into participation and offering me hope, hope based in truth.