Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Name labels...

Growing up it seemed as though everything had a label, mom seemed to sew that little label onto every possible article of clothing. Heaven knows when you would get that item back from the "sewing" room. This room was a literal mountain of clothing, a virtual goldmine of retro clothes if it only existed today, by the time the very first item was dug out for repair it would have been back in style! Never the less, when an item did resurface, it darned a name label. This was for some reason embarrassing to me, to have my name labeled on every article of clothing. What was the message she was sending? As if I was performing some sort of striptease while riding my "Schwinn Sting Ray," or while playing capture the flag! I do not know, I never seemed to arrive home with someone else's sock or shirt, I guess it worked. These labels were made with glass, metal shavings or starch that allowed them to dig, scrap, cut, pierce or gouge the skin, not to mention the actual knot of "razor wire"thread that bonded them to the item. Inevitably, I walked with a limp due to the one heel being sliced by this label in my sock!

Well some quiet time here's what appeared, Numbers 15:39 You will have these tassels to look at and so you will remember all the commands of the LORD, that you may obey them and not prostitute yourselves by going after the lusts of your own hearts and eyes. Today these labels are not my name but His, not literal but figurative, He is sewn into the very thread of my heart. Some days this label may sharply dig, making it hard to walk, yet having the perserverence to do what is right, despite the limp I may be "consecrated to my God." Do not give in to your limp as Pastor Furtick said a couple of weeks ago in a message, He has the plan and purpose......when our desire becomes greater than our disability.