Thursday, April 10, 2008

Vacation memories


It is truly a blessing to have this time with the girls, vacations used to be times that haunted my memories. Growing up, the family climbed into a metal bread box, vinyl seats for that summer pleasure, rolled the windows down and we were off. Whistling down the highways, wind blowing, no one really spoke, a soft beg comes from somewhere in the back of this Country Squire Wagon, "I have to go to the bathroom," it was like Oliver asking for more porridge (gotsta be a little older for this reference!) My fathers fateful glance in the rear view mirror, "we'll stop soon, we only have 1000 miles to go!"

You get the picture, we all get on an agenda, have expectations and ideas as to what our vacation will look like. Fact is the Pollard's do not travel real well with others, others that have expectations of full time entertainment. We do not lack adventure, just the minute to minute micro managing is out for us. This island is our favorite real close adventure, Bald Head Island, there is nothing to do and there is so much to do. It truly is a place to step away from daily routine, we have enjoyed this island for several years now. Yesterday's decisions were taxing, bike ride, cart drive, walk on beach, nap, sun.......watch the ferry come in....whatever. This is vacation to me, opportunities to enjoy what is around you. Our nightly adventures include wildlife safari's to find what animals are out frolicking, eating and observing people! Off to the local hangouts, looking for "gators," something really intriguing about being so close to alligators. The hawk swooping in to get a fish, the gator trying for the hawk and the fish realizing it is dinner for one! This allows the moments to make the memories, not to force memories into a moment. This is far removed from daily routine, for us, I can't remember the last time I pulled the kite out in my backyard, well I do remember but I am hoping my neighbors have forgotten!