Friday, April 4, 2008

Priority Investment

When I was speed skating, this was one of the most taxing disciplines I had to that point been involved in, requiring complete commitment to win. There was always someone faster, more refined technique, better suited for a distance, course or simply a lunge at the line. So training involved many different approaches, preparing me for an event. It always came down to more than what I had done during the race or what I had eaten to supply the energy for effort. Physical condition, emotional investment, mental (spiritual) commitment were all required for success.

Tuesday night in Men's group, along with other topics we were discussing "spiritual backslide." A chart with different descriptions "road signs" of attitude or behaviors leading to separation from God. This is a cycle of separation and decline, the very first category leading away is loss of focus, time, devotion to spiritual condition, reading and praying. All of the levels below are really manifestations of loosing sight of "Restoration" focus. The other character traits that detour me from being effective in my discipline, serve as warnings to take notice of which direction I am moving.

Priority is my greatest struggle, often tangling true priority, seeking Him, with work priority. Finding spiritual balance is directly related to time investment. I find myself alone having sacrificed spiritual investment when work success out weighs discipline. My enlightenment may happen suddenly, like a ton of bricks, truth is it happens by missing the "road signs" along the way, which would be clear if my focus was correct. Balance is unobtainable when priorities are not focused on all the disciplines required to "win." Spiritual, emotional, and physical investments are required to stay on course....... or I find myself left behind.