Thursday, April 24, 2008

Falling on deaf ears...

Here's something that clearly speaks to my heart, Marlee Matlin on overcoming limitations, Dancing with the Stars, she's deaf, not hearing impaired, deaf. Yet she danced, moved and rejoiced in the opportunity to publically face challenge and adversity, continually. Arriving home from Men's group the other night, I walked in on the "voting results" of Dancing with the Stars, Marlee was out. My response to Sandra was "that su&^s, I now have no emotional attachment with tears welling up each week." I have been on the verge of tears every time I saw her dance, that lump in my throat in admiration to her abilities not limited by a handicap. Dance is one thing, not hearing the music and dancing, wow. A quote I read from Marlee is even more convicting.... "life may be difficult when you cannot hear but believe me when I say that the real "handicap" of Deafness does not lie in the ear, it lies in the mind. At the end of the day, silence is the last thing the world will ever hear from me. I hope and pray that it is the same for all of you."

First, I was watching the dancing, not the hockey playoffs, this may be hard to overcome in the locker room of my hockey team! Hey Jason Taylor is on the show and will be in a locker room with professional football players, 'nough said! One thing to live, work and impact others through your strengths, it is completely another to participate beyond strength and face challenges in our limitations and weakness. 2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. When I face my weaknesses, He provides the strength and power to work through them. To overcome any weakness it becomes undeniably His power and grace that performs, strengthens and provides a way to overcome the strongholds and limitations of weakness. He receives the praise and thanksgiving.