Thursday, April 17, 2008

Branded Icons

Yesterday, I saw something that surprised me, alarmed my inner sense of duty. I have heard the term "Branded Icon" for years, understood the concept I thought. What does it say when something ignites a memory in an instance, with a music note, shape of a logo, etc. It mostly sparks the mind to think of a product, service or corporation. Those little things that make a powerful statement by triggering a response, say to sing along with the jingle. Well, some ad executive and marketers have done their job well.

What I saw yesterday was something I will only have to see this one time but will effect me every time I see this type of service again. I could only ask myself, why didn't they see this coming? On the side of the road was a vehicle with a flat tire. The business was clear, the signage was all over the car, should have seen it coming! It was a psychic service, yes a psychic was pulled off the road.....I chuckled! My thoughts were immediately drawn to a trip to the beach, passing a tarot card and psychic business location with a sign on the door that read "Gone out of business!" Did they see that coming?! Now that's a branded icon!

I was drawn to the thought that this is true in life as well. I wear the brand of "Christ." I believe in Him, follow His teachings, how am I acting? If it is me on the side of the road with a flat tire, do I stand there kicking the tires, pounding the hood? What do others see in me that can change the brand from sing along to turning the channel? Do reap what I sew? Impact can be made in a moment, leaving a lasting impression....I am not perfect, giving in to the temptations of flesh may be what others see....