Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Compliments

My day can be changed with receiving simple words of praise from another person. The same holds true for giving a compliment to others, simply acknowledging an appreciation, ability, accomplishment or thank you. I have always understood the impact of such gifts, yet often I find myself handcuffed not living in the moment, over look the opportunity to deliver these small seeds of encouragement. My acknowledgement is about how something has impacted me, how someone has effected me, how they have blessed me...why not let them know? It allows me to live in the moment, if it is genuine in substance it can transform one's attitude. I have been blessed with great leadership in my life and career, learning lessons, building integrity, a key component in this growth is spawned by encouraging words.

The other day someone impacted my day, by simply say to me "you brighten my morning with your cheerful attitude." See I do not know the basis for their compliment, what's happening in their day, impact was made for both involved. They had influence in my heart as I had on theirs. I found myself passing on the attitude throughout the day....simply because it was vocalized.

In business, I am a leader, I can dictate the mood of a project from start to finish. My mindset can influence how others meet their responsibilities. I need to set the bar by acknowledging the parts of the process that allow us to exceed expectations. This is done by building, encouraging and empowering those who have a part in the process. Impact can be made through a simple compliment, defeating negativity, increasing productivity, building community.