Friday, April 25, 2008

Compressed relationships

My day happily starts at Starbucks each morning, "my Starbucks" is the best. Best Barista's, best people and best shots(not just because often they are free) it is because the whole experience has good vibe, case closed. Relationally speaking, 2 minute relationships, being able to connect to people in bits, first impressions, substance is built slowly over a period of time. Building a relationship over time in small increments requires good listening skills and careful content. Today started as any other day, picked up my "joy in a cup," one of the Barista's I typically only see on Sunday mornings. First impression, she's not usually happy, nor a morning person, now I know nothing of her other than first impressions. Today was different, I entered with my typical enthusiastic "good morning," I was received with better than expected results, we spoke, as brief as it was I learned more about her, building just a little more in content. Another "joy seeker" entered I said hello to him by name, I have not seen him for the last few months. I continued and asked him how things were for him. He's a teacher, so I asked questions about his nearing the end of the year, work load, etc. Asked about how he was doing as a few months ago someone in his life passed away. It is like continuing a conversation with a good friend, picking right up where you left off, lots of life has passed, it is still relevant.

What happened next was a payoff of stepping out of myself connecting with those around me. Getting out of the way for Him to show me the importance of investing in others. As I was getting back into my truck, this gentleman came out and thanked me for asking. He said "I wish I had your gift of compassion and simply remembering names..." I thanked him, we went on our way, God impressed on my heart the significance of these brief encounters. To be effective to Him, I must "impact others" not for my glory, that His light may shine. I think of how many times Jesus healed, in a brief encounter. I must make the most of these opportunities, His power can be the difference in a moment.