Thursday, March 27, 2008

oh, my bad...?

25 + years ago, I was living on my mother's porch, I since forgotten the details of this particular argument, I am sure I was drunk, what I do remember...saying to her "I'm sorry......" I distinctly remember her response, "Sorry, sorry is all you'll ever be, that's all you ever are, sorry...." I deserved it. Now take "sorry" and substitute "my bad" as it appears. It does not convey the same message or bear any real responsibility. I do not know where this term came from, it has become mainstream, somehow I can only feel cheated. Now please do not get me wrong "sorry" bears no weight unless it is placed next to responsibility...."I am sorry, please forgive me..." "My bad" rarely, if ever is followed by "please forgive me." Somehow "my bad" has diluted the need for ownership, character, lesson and humility.

Here's my take away, if it is here to stay, let's remember the difference of "simple sorry and righting wrongs." Let's not minimize our mistakes so much that no one ever experiences "freedom of humbly seeking forgiveness, correcting a behavior, not repeating a pattern."

Example 1. "I borrowed your car last night and hit a parked car, my bad..."
Example 2. Surgeon while you're under local anesthesia, "oh, my bad...."
Example 3. "I know how much you loved your ____, my bad..."
Example 4. $60k sander has a control wrench, misplaced, lost, swept away...carelessly....not returned to it's place "my bad..." (you know who you are!)
Example 5. The Lord says to the Father "I could do this for them, ...my bad..."

I just personally can not get my hands around this form of apology, nor do I use it, mostly because is carries no weight, impact or meaning. To me it is a deflection of responsibility when used in context of burden. If Jesus said, "Father, my bad, for they do not know what they are doing."

Last take away, when it comes out of your 8 year old.......it's kinda cute if applied in the proper application "oh daddy, I ate the last cookie, my bad..."