Friday, March 21, 2008

Motor vehicle...spiritual condition

When behind the wheel are you confronted with the sudden realization, "your kids are in the car?" Or a patrolman is on the side of the road? A police car is behind you, worse still the blue lights flash. What does this bring to mind...remorse, anxiety, relief or what? I am one to squeeze many things into my day often without traffic considerations...appointments, deliveries, meetings, etc. I am progressively getting better with my timing, and the mindset behind the wheel, I have learned to call if I am running behind, rather than challenging the forces of physics, balancing other drivers and their inability to understand the importance of my mission!

I guess the only way to confront this honestly is to say I am learning to be more responsible. Less endangerment of others for my lack of time management. When you have children who pick up most everything, you really are challenged to remember how I act will sooner or later become public! I have begun to thank the patrolman, policing the streets for others. My heart does not drop when the blue lights suddenly come on behind me because I have done nothing wrong. There may always be the instantaneous "heart pound and adrenaline rush" when the lights come on, but it is balanced with the realization I am obeying the rules of the road. I am getting older, becoming more alert to my influences.

I remember when for the first time from the backseat while waiting at a traffic light comes, "come on stupid" or "hurry up Bozo." Reality and responsibility collide, I was the cause and condition for this statement from the mouthes of babes! Judgement and expectations stand in front of you at this moment, it was becoming an outward reflection of my actions. More important is the fact, this may be where I am not allowing God in, the part I am holding back. This area holding me back begins to festor and in an instant "rears its ugly head." I have to ask myself "are my outward actions reflecting my inward responses?" 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work. For me an understanding that corrections must be made daily, and often my lessons are learned by others as they reflect me!