Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Housekeeping

We all share the need to at sometime use the restroom. Now this is not about that use, but the mindset. I work with 6 others, it never ceases to amaze me that every time (just about) I enter the restroom something needs to be restocked, the trifecta of simple needs come to mind, toilet tissue, paper towels and soap, let's not spill this over to the water bottle, that would really be pushing it. Not rocket science I realize, more so it is lack of thinking of others. For two weeks I experimented with a sign on the wall that read "Think of Others," oddly things in the restroom stayed neat and organized, well more than usual. No one wants to be in the position to suddenly realize one of these needs may not have been prepared for them. Left by another with just one square, hands dripping from the sink and no towels to dry......the point is made!

Inherent in my nature is to serve and think of others, this clearly is missing from some, but why? This is a reoccurring habit, or somehow a mindset of subservient instinct. Is this below some to serve others in this capacity? Is this because someone at home takes care of these needs for them? Why do some need to be reminded of this with a sign on the wall? The parable of teaching someone to fish rather than just giving them a fish comes to mind. See all of the basic needs are stocked in the restroom, the materials are present, all it takes is some degree of thinking of others, dare I say...caring for others. The net result is that I find myself empty handed! Every Friday, my routine brings me to the church office to pick things up for Sunday, I could just pick up my items and go on my way. What I do is make sure the refrigerator is filled with drinks, it just takes another 5 minutes from my day. Those little efforts make it easier for someone to do their thing, I walk away with the opportunity to make that possible, quietly serving.


The lesson for me in this.......do not just do what others do, make the extra efforts eventually perhaps the payoff of others serving others may happen by example or osmosis, not the point. The payoff may not happen, what I become because of these efforts in the process is more important. John 13 tells us of the Lord washing the disciples feet, "to have part of Him." The Lord continues (John 13:15) "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." Our Lord has shown through example how to serve, the bar has been set, never settle for mediocrity or what it takes to get by, nor that it is below me to serve even if I am the employer!