Thursday, March 20, 2008

If Jesus were...

I hope that this thought is not blasphemy! The other night I returned home, Sandra was watching American Idol. I personally am not into this (I feel the need to qualify), I suddenly had the thought what if Jesus was a judge on American Idol, worse still, who would Jesus be...Randy, Paula or Simon? Immediately I asked Sandra, I instantaneously knew it would not be Paula, perhaps this is where the blasphemy comes in! This falls on heels of Pastor Furtick's recent blog about hollow compliments (www.stevenfurtick.com). The content in which she bellows from what appears to be a half baked stupor, a desire to encourage, but falling short of substance, it is all fluff. Then, take Randy, communicating in a language that always leaves me saying, "what did he say," it is much like a combination of text message lingo and gibberish (from my day)! He poses his remarks to what it feels like to him, often constructive criticism, leaving some balance of dignity and encouragement. Simon, anyone having seen this show could easily say he's pompous, digging, tack less and often derogatory. Tearing and hurtful in presentation, bearing substance, using examples where something fell short.

No, Jesus was able in all things to use His character, to build and encourage, to challenge and change. Meeting every situation with the ability to impact those who were around him. A teacher able to reach everyone with authority, power, humility, respect and discipline, submitted to the Father. Fostering change, impacting those around Him.

I changed my thinking to "is this the way I approach situations?" Having substance and impact with humility. No, I all too often am like the "Idol judges," blending 1, 2 or 3 of their approaches falling short of the mark. Really having a minimal impact on change, or too much scarring impact on the situation, undermining encouragement and humility. Do I face life with judgement or humility? If the answer is judgement, I am limiting the power, "impact," unable to love. If it is humility then I ..."may bear fruit - fruit that will last." (John 15:16)