Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Form vs. Function

Help me to refine this thought, Form is what God gives me, who I am in Him, how He blesses me. For me it is my hands, a desire to serve, create from an idea to fruition. God has given me great form, good health, good looks (relative!), an ability to see...a vision. God has an intention for my Form, how He wants to use me. This I earnestly seek, please hear my prayers Lord. Complete me that I may with whole heart seek your kingdom, wisdom and purpose.
Function is how I use what He has given me. How do I function for Him. Today I had a friend call me, he is young, struggling with having a heart for God and the desire to get "high." I have been here at this crossroad many times. The place where a decision can change the road in which I am on, service or self seeking. In a strange way it is like holding a gun, to pull the trigger in an instance the outcome can be unclear, changed forever. So the smart thing would be to not pick up the gun, tough for an addict to choose. To those without the noose of addiction tightening around their neck to understand. It just will not make sense, it is obvious. God has a direction of the function in my life, to reflect His form.
I have been recovering from minor surgery to remove basel cell carcinoma, catching the flu during the recovery process. Making it more difficult to feel better, now I do. Praise God, I felt better Sunday after really feeling crappy for 4 days prior. I was able to serve, take care of my responsibilites at church, rest for the opportunity to get back to work. It is so very hard to miss time from work for a number of reasons. By refining my function empowering those who work with me, being a better leader I had hoped that others would really step up in my absense and take charge. This did not happen, This is a blog for another day, expectations! Yet things got done, people understood, I needed to recover... just telling the truth and laying it on the line as it is, things are ok. So really people were there for me, especially my devoted loving wife and children.
But let me get back to this phone call, in the midst of getting back to work and catching up. I had 2 ways of facing this phone call. I am busy and not allowing the time this friend needed, or I can meet this outreaching from him with the trust and devotion God wants me to meet him with. My function at this moment was to listen, pray with him and share the goodness of how God has truly moved me from self destructive disfunction to restore the function through His spirit. God I thank you for this moment in time to remember how you believe in me throughout the process of life. This is really what life is about, the maturing process, the decisions I must make on a daily basis of what my priorities really are, putting the tires to the road. I am ready for the waters to rush over me, cleanse all of me that I may glorify the form You've placed inside of me. That my function may bless the form (and form) my life to Glorify Your Spirit that dwells within me!
Continue in me the Form in which you refine my function to serve You and those You've placed around me.
If my heart seeks to serve, may my actions speak on Your behalf.