Monday, March 31, 2008

Invested

I would like to qualify the fact that I am not a businessman by nature, I am a craftsman who has been blessed with a business. I struggle with management skills, in as far a knowing how to motivate, empower and share ownership in our business (figurative). Constantly finding ways to invest employees, working strategies to better refine their skills and our services. I am hit with the dynamics having to juggle personalities and limitations. To find the way of communication for each person, it is not a cookie cutter approach, but has to be tailored to what speaks to them. Drawing out their individual skill set in a way they improve & we all benefit in the function of the body. I believe I am blessed with people in our employ that are dedicated and loyal which speaks to the investment we make in their character and development. I strive for excellence in our performance, I know that everyone has the capability to lead in some way that others may see and learn. I try to work along side everyone, like training wheels, reassuring, encouraging them to think for themselves, at some point I step away allowing them to peddle on their own. In the end, I hope that I have empowered them to invest themselves in the vision and completion, stepping back and saying "look what has been done." Not to work with blinders that fosters limitations but to see and use all the tools and resources around them to face adversity and creativity, harvesting abilities.

My takeaways, this levels the playing field in such a way that we can all work together, learn from one another and improve what we become. If I try to hold on as they peddle I eventually hit my limitations, holding them back from what they can become. If I do not allow them to do for themselves, a dependency continues to build. I have learned from "teachers" along the way empowering me to excel, to invest and learn... "that I may pick up my mat and walk."