Friday, July 18, 2008

trusting in others...

There's a point in business you have to trust and count on others, business has grown and turning the control over has to be transitioned to the team. For me I have found this to be truly a difficult time, more than I'd like to admit. A multi-staged process, especially when you have "clock puncher's." Identifying leaders is a complex when responsibility is not a priority with your choices. I have possessed the characteristics of an entrepreneur probably all my life, whether I have worked for others or myself. I have an inherent sense of duty and honor for all that I do. The phrase "and then some" was introduced to me yesterday, describing my personality. An accurate description of my personality. Having some 50+ employees over the years, through our doors only a small percentage have possessed these characteristics, so really I can throw up my hands and say "I give up, I have no leaders." I can not accept this attitude, I realize the process must take place by building others, I have work to do.
1. Simply clearly place responsibility on them with careful articulation
2. Communicate the expectations, needs and deadlines
3. Trust in their abilities
4. Continue the process and revise strategies as needed
5. Build upon the failures, learning and encouraging
6. Believe in them, in the process and acknowledge all victories
7. Stop expecting them to step up, build them up give them the opportunity....

In life I have found other's do not always have the drive without initiative, it's is not enough to set the example, I have to build and continue to invest in them.