Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Lobster....

You can have it, I do not like it, here's how I learned my distaste for this crustacean. I was away with my father many years ago, at friends of his. I was told we would be having lobster for dinner, with the narrow mind I then possessed, I already knew I would not like it. However, as we sat for dinner that night, it was presented to me...why would anyone want to work that hard for food? I tried it without butter, with butter, with some sauce....net result it was awful to me. I did not last too long before all I had eaten returned to the dinner table! Yes, that's right I raced from the table to witness "Larry the lobster's revenge" for those old enough to remember the sketch from SNL!




Now my take away from this was my violent reaction to lobster, the shame and embarrassment to myself and my father. Utterly humiliated, wishing I was never there and it never happened, this experience has always shaped my distaste for lobster, as it should. Well not really, what I really took away later in life was the contributing factor may have been my actions before sitting at this table, like the case of beer I consumed prior to dinner! I guess you could say I was so opposed to lobster, so focused on my predetermined distaste it became easy to forget the real problem the prevailing behavior all around me. What other prejudices are in my life that enable me to overlook the problem?