Thursday, July 17, 2008

Creative process....

I have a lot to learn about the process of creativity. Here's the typical situation, someone comes to me to design and harness their ideas. Much of the description is ambiguous, it's a box, it needs life and energy. How do you use this piece, place or area? In other words what is the best function of this to serve the needs? Often someone will place a value on this, a net budget on the creative process or this is the direction. This is an alarm that sounds as the box is expected be upfit within those parameters. When I am excited about the vision or concept, it is easier, you become more invested in the process. It is far easier to push the walls on the details, challenging people to redirect their ideas, even if the budget is a concern. If the box and budget are less than exciting I much prefer someone else's design as it is just routine.

When people do not place conditions on the transformation it is easier to allow the process to grow and take wings, not limiting the power of the process. Change can take place despite the investment, but when the investment takes priority over the transformation the power of change is restricted, constrained.

Am I giving my best from a matter of routine or investing in the process by giving my all?