Thursday, September 11, 2008

Trojan horse realization.....

I am beginning to mature as a business owner. The light bulb went on yesterday as my eyes were opened to business and spiritual parallels.
A job came into our shop, really because our samples were brought to other shops and they could not produce the finish, style and details we had on these specific samples. Our cost was higher to produce this product than other shops. By the very fact our samples were in other shops was an alarm sounding, but I did not heed the warning! Here's what is interesting spiritually, I was asked to look again at our cost and can we do some value engineering to be able to help and build the job on a more obtainable budget. Reluctantly, I agreed and followed through on this found ways to cut cost and made concessions on our end to work outside of our margins. It will move quickly is relatively simple project with accelerated timeline. I must commit those words to memory. Concessions were discussed and understood, I thought. I have to say I place a lot of faith in conversations without documenting thoroughly, just brief notes and verbal understanding. This client is great, kind and wonderful, I had some real peace about making these concessions. What has happened, absolutely everything is under extreme scrutiny almost to say if there are 3 knots on the wood there should have been 4 or 2. Any job that begins with negotiation in my experience, does not end until that last negotiation is won. It inevitably will be costing me money, time, effort and other opportunity. It is ridiculous, the details do not matter beyond the real spiritual significance.

Here's what I believe spiritually, I came into this allowing compromise to my belief, a man is worthy of his hire....I was willing to compromise what I believe (integrity), what works (experience) and more important allowed this compromise to leave an opening. This vulnerability exposes me and allows topography in my life to be unguarded. This small opening comes under attack and next thing you know a Trojan horse has compromised the fortress walls. I am now totally at the mercy within my own walls of this attack, no one is to blame but me for letting the area be unguarded. Stand firm in the faith of steadfast understanding and remain guarded, He will restore you.

Here is my direct analogy - I am allergic to cats, kittens are cute! If I allow a kitten to come into my home, it will not be long before I will will be paying the price and coughing blood! Does that make any sense?