Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Givin' your all...

I could not believe my ears on Sunday while watching football, I heard an announcer make the statement about a wide receiver in the game who was blocking for another member of his team. The play did not revolve around him, yet he participated. As if this was not expected, initiative he took on his own. No, it is a team sport and requires the team to play at their best. It disgusts me to hear about these egos, their wages could support a village and some. To hear about the demands and stipulations placed on team sports by individual athletes. Now granted they are the cream of the crop in their discipline, but why is it put up with? Because someone will, can't beat them join them mentality.
It is the crevasse where capitalism & free enterprise meets compromised integrity or stupidity. This may even be why the economy in the US is suffering from the very same, when the demand is high, supply dictates.
I am rewarded to serve the best, who demands the highest level of game. Who demands participation on every play and when my game is not at the top, the team does not look back to me and give up. No, they step up and realize what needs to be done, fill the void and teach me what it means to be a part of a team. They expect me to be a part of every play no matter what my role is going to require, I count on them and they count on me. Participation is not about perfection, it is about committed effort. That means I am in every play with or without the ball.
Nowhere do I see this more than at a church, the leadership, staff recognizes that without the wire to the speakers, someone praying for others, hands moving cars through a parking lot and a smile greeting - the game will be lost. Jesus paid too high a price for me to sit out this play, I must always be spiritually invested. Every Sunday I am amazed at how this plays out, and the commitment to improve is never sacrificed for ego. I am grateful to have such an awesome power of example in my life, shouldn't the church be leading the way?