Friday, September 19, 2008

Challenged by others...

What do you call someone who punches in, bears no responsibility, motivation for payday and loiders in mediocrity? Someone who accepts no challege to grow, learn or instruct others?
I think I have the answer, employees of mine! Do not get me wrong, these guys are great, but they do not allow themselves room for improvement, revision or constructive feedback. When this environment really fosters growth and vision that is the fruit it will bear. They are not pushed hard enough or pushed by each other.

I have been thinking of our business a great deal, asking what needs to change so it is not a continuous cycle of just getting by. I know that when my hockey team plays teams above our level, we typically exceed expectations. We raise our level of play, I know this is true for me. The better my competition, the harder their shot, instinct takes over in my game. You see years of play provide the experience to be able to instinctively evaluate the puck position, body language and watch their eyes to know where they are looking to place the puck. In milliseconds the body responds to the input and makes the save. When playing below our level, anticipation & instinct can only be based on best guess not experience. With lower skill set, your aim could be for the corner mishit the puck and you've scored, logic, game scenario, odds or positional play are removed. You never really know what could happen.

I am used to playing at a higher level in business, because I have everything to lose. My employees have nothing to lose because it is allowed. I was out to lunch with a friend and mentor the other day, I was describing what was going on, he said, "God has great plans for you, getting smaller is not what I see from Him. You have everything you need to excel and dominate." See as I serve in the church I have everything to lose, their is an urgency because lives are on the line. I serve with heart and soul, I need to make sure I am teaching the same thing in our business. I need to step up take charge and set my standards, living by them. By golly, get on board or I am going to kick you off this train. I am tired of being the only one stretching here. I asked what these accomplishments meant that God has blessed onto our business, He is telling me we are capable of being so much more, trust in Him and work hard, it is OK to expect it from those around me. I am being compromised by wearing all the hats because others are not stepping up to wear theirs. Let's work a little competition into this place and watch what I know we are capable to delivering, to exceed expectations can be my only focus to succeed.