Friday, August 8, 2008

sock trauma defused.....

Yesterday, a hurdle of immense proportion was brought to my attention. As I noticed one of the guys walking funny, I asked "what's the matter?" I mean you'd a thought there was a major problem, surgery just the day before or something! Wincing pain and anguish at every step of the way. His response, "I forgot my socks!" Not just that, but "I have to go to Wal-Mart and pick some socks up, it's too hot to work without them!" As I listened to incredible (insert sarcasm) dilemma, many things rushed through my head, the foremost thought "I cried because I had not shoes, until I saw a man with no feet." Oh my gosh, you'da thought the world was going to end on account of the missing socks. With compassion (insert sarcasm) in my heart, I suggested if you are still suffering at lunch he could use his lunch time to go purchase socks! Or I said, I could just send you home for the day, unpaid, your choice." It was like a rehearsed step, drag, wince, slightly embellished and over acted! I am not doubting or questioning his need for socks, I may have been more skeptical than compassionate! Ironically, what happened when presented with the choices (options I suggested) somehow he was able to muster up the stamina to put up with the pain, in fact I did not see the wincing the rest of the day! The lesson I have learned from this trauma in his life applied to mine, be more careful when you get dressed! Do not always focus on the problem, in fact just by persevering, turning your attention away, you may find you have the strength provided. Before you know it a stronghold overcome!

Oh, yeah I need to work on the compassion in these situations, without sarcasm!