Thursday, August 14, 2008

Olympic mindset....

Years ago I, was at the OTC (Olympic Training Center) in Minnesota, I was surrounded by athletes who had an internal drive and vision to be champions. What resonated in my mind after spending time skating, training and working out with them was their mindset. The focus of their attention was not to beat others, but to be the best they can be. When called on to perform in their discipline, they expected the best from themselves, it had nothing to do with their competition.
Here's another approach, when researching a purchase of machinery or equipment, I come in contact with sales people who rep manufacturers. Some approach this potential sale knocking and pointing out specific short-comings of other manufacturers, rather than focusing on the sale of their equipment. They look to the weakness of others rather than their strengths, my response is typically to tune them out, or begin to see that I should look more to the competition because they spend so much time attacking the others. They compare points and parts on many rather than focusing on their product. Integrity becomes more in question as they are trying to beat the others, rather than to build a sound foundation. When a sales rep tells me about their equipment and only theirs the questions are answered, more fundamentally sound, it gives me the facts I am seeking.
Far too often I am in situations in life that my instinct is to look around, questioning others, myself and wanting to be better than them. My measure is far short from my being the best I can. I am a competitor rather than a champion.
What am I driving at, for me to be more effective I must not worry about others and what is around me. I must focus more on how can I be the best I can be. To be a true champion I have to instinctively call upon the strength from within, call on His Glory and Power. When I am focused on beating others, someone will come on the other side and overtake me because my focus is not on my victory, my best or where my strength comes from. My goal is bound in comparison rather than to be a champion. I stand in the way of the Power...I limit myself and His Power in me.