Thursday, February 14, 2008

Ode to my small group!

Entrusted with the charge - It's ok it's not so large

The two of you.....not meant to meet
One so soft - One so sweet
I hold your weight, the reward so great
All eyes on the prize

We anxiously await - we are going to celebrate

I held you tight - it's not a fight

You sit, you rest, embroidered with a crest

Piping so bright, it is such a delight

The words spell out the reason we're here

With friends gathered so near, they are all so dear
Our hearts we share, we pray, we laugh, we cry
For we are here to encourage, not to be discouraged

We are here to raise and give Him Praise
In a moment - a flash - without even a crash

One meant for a plate, one meant for the feet

I have suffered a great defeat...........

In that moment..........Cake and carpet meet





Yes, yesterday I asked for humility and found myself humbled!
I was holding the cake for our anniversary, and watched as it slipped from the tray it was on, I might add - in slow motion. Helplessly, watching as if on America's Funniest Home Videos! Completely my fault, the range of emotions in an instance. Embarrasment, disappointment, laughter the fear of letting others down............ This perhaps in the past would trigger a wound of the past, yet it happened and yes it really is not a big deal. What I was faced with was the humor of the moment, laughter, hey what can I say it was an accident. Unfortunetly, you really had to be there to appreciate the moment in time. Undoubtedly, I will be recieving photos of the afterglow of icing on the carpeting, so orange, so bright, the cake now distorted. What I was met with was dignity, no disappointment, no dispair without even skipping a beat. I am laughing so hard right now tears are in my eyes.....All I can say is thank you God for the moment in time. And surely I will bear the brunt of the jokes, photos and memories of when..... That is ok, when it happened I could have been faced with other memories, without skipping a beat a response crys out "that is awesome" from our small group leader, John. No one in the room even felt disappointment. What can I say, the joy is in the journey! Everyone met this with laughter and reflection, and of course explaination of what just happened for those that may not have seem this happen. Agape love, the greatest of these is love, God gives you what you need. Just hammers home Pastor Furtick's (http://www.elevationchurch.org/) message in the Series "Entourage." Who do you surround yourself with? Who is speaking in your ear? I give thanks to God for wrapping me in His abundance and surrounding me with people who are walking in Him. Something that could have been bad memory was turned to something that is a funny memory and I praise Him. Even my bride, Sandra stated to me later that she does not ever remember a moment in our 13 years when I was so embarrased! Yet, God met me with dignity, love and laughter. To my small group I thank you.....for walking in His Spirit, meeting me where God intended us to be. It is truly a joy to be a part in Him with you all, you all show me His Love and Abundance. To you I continue to pray "Show me your way"
Many thanks, Chris