Friday, February 22, 2008

Common Sense

Ok, today I was thinking this morning about "common sense." If common sense is so "common" why is it that many seem to possess so little or none? I think common sense does not come easy, perhaps it is a state of mind. Just an initial thought, may not hold any water to this theory, let me start to think it through.

I believe some people have little to no common sense, because it is something that requires thinking outside of ourselves. Beyond the walls of our comfort, to think outside of the realm of selfish (limited) thought. Often common sense comes into play when others are involved, it is an inherent condition. Common sense somewhere in the process questions "how does this affect something else, or how will this effect someone else."

There is "street smart," "savy," "logical thought," and many others, but they are often divorce of common sense, together they may help to instill some common sense, these are learned through experience or taught. No, I think common sense is more instinct, it seems a process like building something. Some people have to build one process at a time, having to retool at each step, only seeing things in 1 dimension. People who seem to have common sense are able to grasp a hold of the overall picture, somehow able to see through each step adding all of the steps together and use common sense to keep from retooling (starting over) at each step. The ability to see more in 3-d, while assembling in our thought process, natural instinct constantly adds input throughout the way, to refine and organize dimension in thought.

I want to prequalify again, this is not really thought out theory, perhaps someone like my sister educated in brain function, motor operation and neurological condition can help with the truth of this. To me "common sense" may be more like the a definition of humility -"teachability." I struggle with relationships with those who appear to have little common sense. It is like throwing a ball against a jagged wall, you never know really where the ball is going to bounce back. Just as you find the spot to throw the ball it hits an edge and bounces in a different direction,"I did not see that coming..." There is no predictibility when there is no common sense.

I believe in my life I have areas where I may have limited (or no) common sense. Areas where self defense, selfishness or false ambition over ride and short curcuit the common sense process. Finding myself worked into a corner, not having prioritized the order, or thought through the process. It is a "headstrong" (selfish) order of thought. These areas needing change are a little like"kryptonite" to Superman, paralizing, weakened in the knees and unable to find strength. I need to remain humble, I need to be teachable. I know "kryptonite" is an outside influence on Superman, so I know that if I seek the inside strength of the Spirit common sense will prevail!