Thursday, June 11, 2009

expectations....

Sandra and I have had conversations about expectations, that others place, that we place on any given situation. I was struck by the profound revelation, "having no expectations is even an expectation." Communication is what will bring the greatest opportunity to grace. Sometimes you have to speak to the unspoken.

An example, last night someone told me he would be in early to make up 4 hrs. missed. So at when I arrived to find he was not here, my expectations went unmet. At 7:45 (15 min. early)when he arrived "early" I thought it really would have helped if I had asked "what does early mean?"

Sandra had a conversation with someone about how we didn't meeting her expectations, when they were never spoken; only expected. Fact is we never will live up to the expectations of some, if you answer one there will always be another. I lived my childhood insecure by unmet expectations placed on me. Most of which were never spoken, imprisoned by others self imposed out of fear, insecurity a lack of self esteem.

It is easier and I am better at not speaking what needs to be spoken. It is the same thing spiritually for me, when I articulate to God what I carry, it is the only way I allow Him to take it from me. Often it is what's unsaid that can hurt the deepest, so why not just say it, He is just waiting to exceed my expectations; if I ask. That's Grace!